A certification is an industry award that recognises a person’s competence in a field at a certain point in time.
A certifying body conducts standardised assessment against criteria that are defined by the profession, and some (such as the Institute of Project Management) offer instructional resources as optional aid to candidates (OPEN is also free!).
Although some require re-certification (re-assessment) every few years, many certifications are awarded without conditions. A motor vehicle driver’s licence, for example, is a certification that needs occasional renewal, but rarely requires a complete re-assessment.
The Institute of Project Management is internationally accredited by the Australian government and its treaty partners as the official assessor and issuing authority for Certified Project Officer / Professional / Master / Director certifications.
A Certified Project Officer (CPO) is a fundamental contributor to any project team.
They have been examined on at least 30 hours of project management study, and can employ project management knowledge in a wide variety of settings, taking responsibility for their own work performance.
A Certified Project Professional (CPP) applies contemporary project management tools, techniques and methods to the unique context of each project they undertake.
They identify and respond proactively to project risks, opportunities and issues, keeping stakeholders fully informed throughout.
A Certified Project Master (CPM) is a project leader and innovator.
They have been independently assessed against a broad range of project management competencies, and can apply a suite of specialised technical and managerial skills to initiate, plan, execute and evaluate their own project work and the work of others.
A Certified Project Director (CPD) has the proven ability to lead multiple, complex projects, programs and portfolios of work.
They make high-level autonomous decisions and use initiative and judgement to navigate a diverse range of activities that span functions, organisations, regions and cultures.
What are the benefits of Institute Certification?
Institute of Project Management credentials validate contemporary best practices in the discipline of project management. By not slavishly adhering to (or evangelizing) any one standard, methodology or industry approach, our credentials provide a highly rigorous and transferable baseline of skills that can be applied in any project context.
Institute credential holders are critical thinkers; they are the project leaders, problem solvers and innovators of the 21st century.
An Institute credential therefore opens up a wealth of career opportunities for the project manager. It expands your market reach, enhances your project management skills, displays your ability to handle challenging projects, earns you critical projects, and increases your salary by a huge margin.
So why should I certify my project management knowledge, experience and skills with the Institute of Project Management?
- Access our free, OPEN, online knowledge library – don’t pay for expensive preparation courses
- Consider alternative assessment options, including the recognition of your prior project management learning
- Receive lifetime certification – no membership, subscription or ongoing fees are required
- Guaranteed global recognition – your project management passport!
- Access direct pathways to higher certification and/or qualifications
- Exponentially increase your career potential and rewards
Why do employers prefer our Certifications?
Employers today are frustrated with “Paper PMs” – project managers who are certified on the basis of completing a theoretical, methodology-specific quiz.
Such quizzes invariably demand rote memorisation of obscure formulas and highly complex process maps that bear only a passing resemblance to how projects are delivered in the real world.
By contrast, employers prefer and invest in Institute certifications for their staff for a whole range of reasons:
- Comprehensive assessment of project best practices, as opposed to a single methodological approach
- Instant, online validation of certification authenticity is available via Linkedin and OPEN
- The Institute’s certification marks and post-nominals are accredited to explicitly defined and regularly audited international standards
- Candidates are bound to the Institute’s Code of Ethics for Project Professionals
- Organisations employing Institute certified candidates immediately observe improved project performance
By taking a 21st century approach to competency-based assessment, our certifications are the most durable and cost-effective option for project team members and managers looking to independently assure their value to their employer.